Sad Brick Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weird words and Phrases from Around the World

5 posters

Go down

Weird words and Phrases from Around the World Empty Weird words and Phrases from Around the World

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:18 am

lol... I came across this and thought I'd share. Anything you guys can add to it?

----------------------

Gwarlingo: Welsh description of the sound of a grandfather clock before it strikes.

Pisan zapra: Malay for the time needed to eat a banana.

Layogenic: Filipino for someone good-looking from afar but ugly up close.

Mouton enragé : French for someone calm who loses their temper - literally, "an enraged sheep".

Kati-kehari: Hindi meaning to have the waist of an elegant lion.

Yupienalle: Swedish for a mobile phone - literally, "yuppie teddy" like a security blanket.

Ikibari: Japanese, a "lively needle" and describing a man who is willing but under-endowed.

Tantenverführer: German for a young man with suspiciously good manners.

Fensterln: German for climbing through a window to avoid someone's parents so you can have sex without them knowing.

Stroitel: Russian for a man who likes to have sex with two women at the same time.

Okuri-okami: Japanese for a man who feigns thoughtfulness by offering to see a girl home only to try to molest her once he gets in the door - literally, a "see-you-home wolf"

Trennungsagentur: German for someone hired by a woman to tell her boyfriend he has been dumped.

Momma ko ene: Cheyenne for having red eyes from crying over your boyfriend marrying someone else.

Kanjus Makkhichus: Hindi description of someone so tight that if a fly falls into their tea they'll fish it out and suck it dry before throwing it away.

Tlazlimquiztli: Aztec for the smell of adulterers.

Nosom Para Oblake: Serbian for "he is ripping clouds with his nose", describing someone conceited.

Traer la lengua de corbata: Latin American Spanish for to be exhausted - literally, to have your tongue hanging out like a man's tie

Sjostygg: Norwegian for someone so ugly the tide refuses to come in if they stand on the shore.

Lolo: Hawaiian for someone who would gladly give you the time if only they could read a clock.

Lalew: Filipino word meaning to grieve so much you can't eat.

Nito-onna: Japanese for a woman so dedicated to her career that she has no time to iron blouses and so resorts to dressing only in knitted tops.

Buaya darat: Indonesian for a man who fools women into thinking he's a very faithful lover when in fact he goes out with many different women at the same time - literally, a land crocodile

Chantepleurer: French for singing at the same time as crying.

Hira hira: Japanese for the fear you get from walking into a decrepit old house in the middle of the night.

Les avoir a zero: French for "to have one's testicles down to zero", or be frightened.

Du kannst mir gern den buckel runterrutschen und mit der zunge bremsen: Austrian for "go to hell" – literally "You can slide down my hunchback using your tongue as a brake".

---------------------------------

I'm pretty stoked I now have a word for "HFFA (Hot from far away... but up close she's nasty)"
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Weird words and Phrases from Around the World Empty Re: Weird words and Phrases from Around the World

Post  samantha Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:51 am

LOLZ, Aisah.
samantha
samantha

Back to top Go down

Weird words and Phrases from Around the World Empty Re: Weird words and Phrases from Around the World

Post  Sarah Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 am

one of my favourite words...

Schedenfreud - German for taking joy in the misery of others.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Aceface Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Samantha wrote:

LOLZ, Aisah.
I asked Mum about that one, she's never actually heard of it before
Aceface
Aceface

Back to top Go down

Post  db Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:51 am

I have a feeling a lot of these would be slang type things, not official words. Reason for this:

Fensterln: German for climbing through a window to avoid someone's parents so you can have sex without them knowing.

Sounds like something which is made up by younger people and not actually part of official language etc
db
db

Back to top Go down

Post  AshleighANARCHY Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:29 am

An American Term;

Bushism: A word under which every stupid statement (thus majority of statements made) by George Double-Ya Bush.

E.G:

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — uhh, well, you can't get fooled again!"
AshleighANARCHY
AshleighANARCHY

Back to top Go down

Post  db Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Bushisms are win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Jcrk6jGfo
db
db

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down