Sad Brick Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect)

4 posters

Go down

Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect) Empty Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect)

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

Taken from Beat Magazine...

The Butterfly Effect
Final Conversation Of Kings
(Roadshow)

The title Final Conversation Of Kings, for those interested, is based on a Latin phrase that refers to war. While this is mainly intended to establish a running theme of conflict within the album, it’s also fitting if you imagine The Butterfly Effect as being engaged in a pitched battle against the fast-growing number of heavy/progressive bands on the scene. For if this is the case, then Final Conversation could be seen as the band finally utilising the element of surprise.

The band’s last effort, Imago,was a very strong album texture-wise, but it was also something of a static album – the riffs tended to fall into a rut and stay there for too long, shifting gears at fairly predictable moments. For Final Conversation, it’s a whole new ball game… And that, if I may be so bold, is probably at least half due to the fact the band decided to go all the way – both pre-production and recording - with producer Forrester Savvell.

Savvell is a master of retaining the energy and momentum of a song while throwing in surprise detours, and Final Conversationis, in this respect and otherwise, his best work since Karnivool’s Themata. If not of all time. Like current single The Window And The Watcher, the album is filled with tempo and texture shifts that come in at just the right places to keep the impact of the songs from faltering, and make the choruses that much more satisfying when they come around. On the more innovative side of things is The Way, which, with an atmospheric, Middle-Easterny introduction opening up into to a sweeping chorus, takes a leaf out of the book of The Tea Party. Meanwhile, the fattened, fuzz-driven Rain seems like The Butterfly Effect’s take on an ‘industrial’ sound.

Much of both band and producer’s genius is found in their intuition for when to hold back. Although the word ‘progressive’ has been bandied about for years in reference to The Butterfly Effect, Final Conversation’s seven-minute opening track Worlds On Fire means we can finally say it with some conviction. But, even better than the typical prog anthem, which simply plods in even-spaced steps to a predictable peak, Worlds On Fire instead burns itself down to a smouldering ember for its mid section – capped off by a brilliant, moody trumpet part – before becoming a raging inferno in its final seconds. (Muse comparisons are understandable, if lazy) The ostensibly mellower Sum Of 1 ends the album in much the same way; with a last minute pedal to the metal burst that leaves you wanting more.

But Final Conversation is not a smart-arsey album by any means. Indeed, sometimes it is the band’s adherence to the KISS principle that makes it shine. The breathtaking Room Without A View – which starts out with one of Savell’s inimitable funk-inspired passages - is probably the heaviest song The Butterfly Effect has ever done, simply for finding ever more ways to slam home its straightforward riff. For the pop-ballad-on-steroids In These Hands, it is, ironically, the direct and even familiar nature of the lyrics that makes it that much more electrifying. Frontman Clint Boge resurrects lines like ‘we’ll be together ‘til the end of time’ and ‘hear me calling your name’, and delivers them with a passion that I, for one, wouldn’t have even thought possible. Real chills-down-the-spine stuff.

Final Conversation Of Kings isn’t the album we always thought The Butterfly Effect were capable of, so much as it is the album that will exceed all your expectations.

JESSE SHROCK

-----

It's funny. Two days ago I listened to this album completely, and didn't have much positive feedback... I was comparing it the Butterfly Effect of the past, stating that "It's missing something...".

I've just listened through it again, and can't believe how wrong I first was.

This album is dead-set AMAZING.

Sure it doesn't sound like the typically butterfly effect I know... It sounds better.

They've truly hit the jackpot and found an amazing sound, to put together easily their best album.

Please, please listen to this album and see a sampling of what Australian music has to offer.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect) Empty Re: Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect)

Post  Big Red Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:51 am

wow, bit of a flip there sarah, take it the songs have grown on you
i still stand by what i always said, the sound just doesnt sound as powerful as it did with imago/older work. songs like 'Before they Knew' and 'The End' for example always put chills up my spine and make me and ryan scream out the lyrics. 'Circus' makes me bop like im on acid and i ive fallen asleep completely relaxed from just listening to the fantastic drum work in 'A.D'. like i said, really powerful stuff. these new songs, they all sound like they are built for the radio, mainstream stuff. I'm not saying its crap (far from it), but they need some new epic,standout stuff.
Big Red
Big Red

Back to top Go down

Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect) Empty Re: Final Conversation of Kings (The Butterfly Effect)

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:00 am

these new songs, they all sound like they are built for the radio, mainstream stuff.

I disagree, Window and the Watcher is basically the only song I see being completely mainstream. I know what you mean by there isn't any standout stuff, but I've figured that's because the album is all killer no filler.

With their previous albums, you had your fantastic tracks, then the ones that seemed like they were just there to fill out space, which made the former stand-out.

Give it time, you'll realise how powerful these new songs are.

In other news, I can't stop listening to the 4th track, "The Way". In parts it reminds me of a burlesque type song, and I am thinking of an incredible dance I could do to it... Something completely different in terms of dancing (at my school anyway, and I don't think I've seen it done before).

Kinda like a Fan dance, but swapping between that and a contemporary/ballet... It would fit so perfectly to the song, for instance, the verses have that 'burlesque' type quality I stated, to and then it flows into a soft rock for the chorus making it perfect for a unique style of dance.

Oh if I could choreograph a dance to this, and get my fan on some giant feather fans I would ask if I could do this as a solo in my dancing concert.

I miss ballet/neo classical/contemporary so much.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:02 am

Braddles wrote:wow, bit of a flip there sarah, take it the songs have grown on you
That's because I stopped comparing it to their other work and just listened to it as a full album. Plus I'm in a much better, more open-minded mood than I was when I first originally listened to the album.

I've been quite bitter all week actually. Amazing how much that affects everything.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 am

Braddles wrote:songs like 'Before they Knew' and 'The End' for example always put chills up my spine and make me and ryan scream out the lyrics.

come on now, you can't tell me "Window and the Watcher" doesn't make you scream out the lyrics. I can't stop singing this freakin' song, ever since they first released it as a single.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am

Actually Brad, what's your stance on Karnivool's "Themata"?

I ask because the album fits together much the same way that "Final Conversation of Kings" does. Not that I'm saying they're identical, but it's just the format and layout of the songs.

Except "Omitted for Clarity", it was needed, but it's annoying to have a blank 20 second song while you're listening to the album on shuffle.

That all said, Forrester Savvell is a musical genius.

Last edited by Sarah on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Red Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:08 am

yea, you get that with some albums, the standouts and the fillier. but imago didnt really have that much fillier, cant say i didnt enjoy any of the tracks on that album, except maybe 'signs'.
7 Days is my fav so far, i dunno why but that on/off guitar riff is awesome, aswell as 'and the promise of truth', those tracks have grown on me, im sure the rest will to. TBE all the way. Smile
Big Red
Big Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 am

Braddles wrote:TBE all the way. Smile

Is that a yes to their QBH gig? Razz hehe
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Red Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 am

With Themata i actually enjoyed the work the karnivool boys did, 'L1feL1ke' is my favorite, aswell as 'Shutterspeed'. its not that mellow, but punchy and powerful enough to sound awesome through my speakers (and piss off the neighbors)
Big Red
Big Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 am

In These Hands is pretty awesome also.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Red Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 am

Sarah wrote:

Im There.
Big Red
Big Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:13 am

Argh, Karnivool has been producing their new album forever. They're so incrredbily pedantic about everything.

I love that they're perfectionists, but I hate it at the same time. Although I know that if they didn't take time to get absolutely everything right, I would like the album a little less.

Just hopefully it'll be out soon enough so I have more Ian Kenny and Drew Goddard goodness in my library Wink
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:13 am

Braddles wrote:
Sarah wrote:

Im There.

alrighty. see if ryan wants to come and I'll grab us some tickets Smile
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Red Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:26 am

Sarah wrote:
Braddles wrote:songs like 'Before they Knew' and 'The End' for example always put chills up my spine and make me and ryan scream out the lyrics.

come on now, you can't tell me "Window and the Watcher" doesn't make you scream out the lyrics. I can't stop singing this freakin' song, ever since they first released it as a single.
just the chorus , its catchy stuff Razz
Big Red
Big Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:29 am

Braddles wrote:
Sarah wrote:

just the chorus , its catchy stuff Razz

i'm singing it to you tonight Smile
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Stoo Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Sarah, did you create this forum just so you can post crap?
Very Happy
Stoo
Stoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Daneo Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:07 am

just got this album yesterday....i think its way good.....heaps different from earlier stuff like phoenix which is my fave song of theirs but in a good way...you can tell they have evolved as a band....initial fave songs are room without a view, final conversation, window and the watcher and rain...overall awesome album i reckon Smile
Daneo
Daneo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down