Sad Brick Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can scientists really see what we are thinking???

+2
Big Red
Jake
6 posters

Go down

Can scientists really see what we are thinking??? Empty Can scientists really see what we are thinking???

Post  Jake Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Scientists Extract image from Brain

Remember when we would all laugh at those fictional dystopian views of the future where the government could read your mind, see what you see, and force you to eat the same cereal every morning while wearing funny hats? Well it might be the time to invest in personal electro-magnetic pulse devices because scientists at Japan’s ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have developed a new technology that can reconstruct images from a person's brain and display them on a computer monitor, turning everyone into a flesh and blood security camera. Hit the jump for more details on this super awesome and equally creepy advancement in the world of science.

Ok that may be a bit reactionary, but by using a functional magnetic resonance imaging machine the researchers were able to map blood flow changes within a human brain's cerebral visual cortex when exposed to specific control images. Subjects were shown 400 random 10 x 10 pixel black-and-white images for a period of 12 seconds each, which allowed the scientists to map the changes associated with images, essentially calibrating the machine. Then, when the test subjects were shown a completely new set of images, such as the letters N-E-U-R-O-N, the machine was able to recognize and reconstruct the images in a recognizable, all be it low-res image.

So far, the system can only recognize simple, black and white images, but scientists are confident the technology will advance so much in the next 10 years that reading a person's mind with some degree of accuracy will be possible. This technology could be used in the fields art and design; imagine being able to see the images inside an artists head! It could also be used to treat mental conditions that exhibit hallucinations, allowing doctors to see exact what their patients think they're seeing. ATR chief researcher Yukiyasu Kamitani says, “This technology can also be applied to senses other than vision. In the future, it may also become possible to read feelings and complicated emotional states.

”[img]Can scientists really see what we are thinking??? 63364610[/img]

Real or False?
Jake
Jake

Back to top Go down

Can scientists really see what we are thinking??? Empty Re: Can scientists really see what we are thinking???

Post  Big Red Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:41 pm

this better not make it to handhelds. the last thing i want chicks to know is what im thinking.
Can scientists really see what we are thinking??? 320773
Big Red
Big Red

Back to top Go down

Can scientists really see what we are thinking??? Empty Re: Can scientists really see what we are thinking???

Post  Jake Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:55 pm

it would be a bad thing indeed my friend mammel Can scientists really see what we are thinking??? 320773 Embarassed
Jake
Jake

Back to top Go down

Post  Daneo Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:13 pm

i dont believe that at all
Daneo
Daneo

Back to top Go down

Post  hey its that bar guy Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 am

then women would be screwed.. cause we would know what they were thinking Razz
hey its that bar guy
hey its that bar guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stoo Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Lol, I actually think it's possible, it makes sense that it could work.

If people saw what I was thinking, I'd be fucked, lol.
Stoo
Stoo

Back to top Go down

Post  db Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:58 pm

This would take decades, possibly a century to perfect or to make anything useful of the results.

I am not a person who is going to say it's all bull shitake as I have no evidence to show it'll never work. That being said, I personally don't think in images long enough for anyone to read it. Hell, most of the time I'm not actually focused on anything.

Total truthfulness and social transparency is an interesting concept though, one which I'd love to try.
db
db

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum